Chicken Soup for your Gut : How Bone Broth Helps You Heal
Welcome to Thyroid Loving Care’s Celebration Event in honor of Sean Croxton’s Digestion Sessions!
I jumped at the chance a few months ago to review the Digestion Sessions program and I was blown away by the high level of practical content available to help people heal their gut and reclaim their lives from disease and debilitating symptoms.
This video series inspired me to create an event where we follow Digestion Sessions during it’s FREE preview period and provide extra cooking videos, bonuses, giveaways and more. Won’t you join us?
Today we’re talking bone broth and how that can kickstart some serious gut repair.
Did your mom or grandma ever make you chicken soup when you were sick? Turns out, there’s a reason it’s an old remedy for all sorts of things — because it actually works!
Besides being comforting when you have a cold, bone broth, which is stock made with bones, not just meat, is nutrient dense, easy to digest, delicious and promote healing. And actually, it doesn’t matter if it’s chicken, beef, pork, lamb or even fish, they all have the same beneficial properties.
Why is bone broth so good for you?
Cooking the bones, tendons, skin, and other parts of the animal that we don’t otherwise eat to make bone broth releases many beneficial vitamins, minerals, and other health-promoting substances into the broth in forms that are easy for our bodies to digest and use.
For example, bone broth contains collagen, proline, glycine, and glutamine that are great for your health, as well as minerals like calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, silicon, sulphur and others that reduce inflammation, support the immune system, and even help heal allergies and other disorders.
Gelatin, which is produced from the breakdown of collagen, is particularly helpful for those of us with leaky gut and other digestive issues, because it can actually soothe the lining of the digestive tract and help heal and reverse dietary allergies and food sensitivities.
All of these substances are also anti-inflammatory, which is incredibly important for people fighting autoimmune disorders like Hashimoto’s.
I’m in! Where do I get bone broth?
Unfortunately, the broths and “stock” sold at the supermarket isn’t going to cut it. Those manufactured stocks use bouillon and artificial flavors to simulate the flavors of real bone broth — but they don’t have any of the benefits.
Luckily, bone broth is easy to make at home. In fact, if you can boil water, you can make bone broth!
Any good butcher will have soup bones (usually beef or pork) that they will sell you, but I usually like to just make a big roast and then use the bones for stock when we’re done.
Check out this video on how to get two meals and a pot of nutritious, healing bone broth from a single roast chicken!
How much bone broth do you need? A cup a day is a great start. I like to drink my bone broth every morning with breakfast as part of my healthy self-care routine, but you can drink yours any time of the day — or make it into a tasty soup — and see the same benefits.
In addition to the article you just read, I provide a ton of other resources on healing your thyroid naturally, including:
- Our totally free Thyroid Healing Type Assessment, Report and Coaching Sessions
- Right here on my blog, where I talk about what’s worked best for me and my clients, as well as the latest research and resources I come across. You can subscribe to get new blog posts delivered right to your email by signing up on the righthand side of the page.
- My book, Healing Hashimoto’s Naturally — part memoir, part instruction manual for how I personally healed my Hashimoto’s disease.
- My exclusive free 6 Thyroid Myths That Can Keep You From Healing workshop — with info on the comprehensive Thyroid Fix in 6 program, which walks you through, step-by-step, the exact actions you need to take to heal your thyroid and get your life back! We’ve seen hundreds of participants in the Thyroid Fix in 6 avoid, decrease, or even eliminate the need need for thyroid medications.
- The incredible Your Best Thyroid Life Video Bundle, in which I personally invited 27 of the world’s top health experts to share their best tips for living with and healing thyroid disease.
Jen Wittman is a Certified Holistic Health Expert, Chef, Author & Vitality Coach, who teaches women how to reverse thyroid and autoimmune conditions naturally. She’s helped hundreds of women decrease (or even eliminate) their thyroid medications and has helped others stay off thyroid medication entirely.
Through her free Thyroid Healing Type Assessment, Jen teaches easy and simple steps to thyroid healing that can fit into your busy day. She also provides print outs to bring to your next doctor’s appointment so you can get the support and respect you deserve.