Dr. Sara Gottfried’s Tom Kha Gai Recipe – The Thyroid Sessions
I am having a BLAST watching all the great presenters during the amazing online event, The Thyroid Sessions. We are learning about all things thyroid over there – including hot topics like Hashimoto’s, Grave’s, hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, medications, supplements, gluten, iodine, testing, fertility, motherhood. You name it, Sean Croxton has it covered with this fantastic program!
While I’m waiting for my Thyroid Session interview to air on Managing Motherhood & Thyroid Disease (watch it this Sat, May 10th and Sun, May 11th!), I’ve decided to keep busy in the kitchen with a little cookin’….well, that’s not entirely true. I’ve been working my butt off this week hosting discussion groups, getting interviews set up for Thyroid Radio and thinking of all the great recipes I’m about to share with you all, so my main man, Doug, has been doing the cooking.
Doug and I were both inspired to try our hand at Dr. Sara Gottfried’s recipe for Tom Kha Gai from The Thyroid Sessions. Watching Sean in the kitchen, trying out this new dish was priceless! And, it was clear his bold step to try the dish paid off! He loved it, we loved it and you will too! Here’s our version of Dr. Sara’s Tom Kha Gai.
- Lemon grass, 1 stalk. chopped in 2 -in pieces
- Garlic cloves, 3
- Kaffir lime leaves, 6-8
- Fresh Ginger, 2 inches, peeled
- Cardamom pods (optional)
- Chicken Broth, 32 oz (make sure it's organic or better yet, homemade!)
- Chicken, organic or pasture-raised, 1 lb, chopped into bite size pieces (we just use leftover chicken from our homemade broth)
- Baby Bella mushrooms, 1 carton
- Native Forest coconut milk, whole fat, 1 can
- Fish sauce, organic
- Cilantro, handful, chopped
- Limes, 3
- In a blender, add lemon grass, garlic cloves, Kaffir lime leaves and ginger. Blend 'til well chopped (but not a paste)
- Add mixture from blender + cardamom pods (optional) to the chicken broth.
- Simmer on medium-low for 20-25 minutes
- Strain the broth and return it to the pot
- Add chicken, mushrooms and 1/2 of the cilantro and simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Take off heat and add coconut milk, fish sauce and other 1/2 of cilantro and stir.
- Add a squeeze of lime juice and serve with lime wedges.
I have many more healthy recipes, tips and resources on how to heal your thyroid naturally, including:
- Our totally free Thyroid Healing Type Assessment, Report and Coaching Sessions
- Right here on my blog, where I talk about what’s worked best for me and my clients, as well as the latest research and resources I come across. You can subscribe to get new blog posts delivered right to your email by signing up on the righthand side of the page.
- My book, Healing Hashimoto’s Naturally — part memoir, part instruction manual for how I personally healed my Hashimoto’s disease.
- My exclusive free 6 Thyroid Myths That Can Keep You From Healing workshop — with info on the comprehensive Thyroid Fix in 6 program, which walks you through, step-by-step, the exact actions you need to take to heal your thyroid and get your life back! We’ve seen hundreds of participants in the Thyroid Fix in 6 avoid, decrease, or even eliminate the need need for thyroid medications.
- The incredible Your Best Thyroid Life Video Bundle, in which I personally invited 27 of the world’s top health experts to share their best tips for living with and healing thyroid disease.
You are what you eat. Healthy, nourishing foods are vital in helping you heal and feel great in your body–and they can be delicious, too!
Jen Wittman is a Certified Holistic Health Expert, Chef, Author & Vitality Coach, who teaches women how to reverse thyroid and autoimmune conditions naturally. She’s helped hundreds of women decrease (or even eliminate) their thyroid medications and has helped others stay off thyroid medication entirely.
Through her free Thyroid Healing Type Assessment, Jen teaches easy and simple steps to thyroid healing that can fit into your busy day. She also provides print outs to bring to your next doctor’s appointment so you can get the support and respect you deserve.