Minty Mediterranean Artichokes
Stealing the show with lemon and mint, this artichoke dish brightens any meal. We especially like it paired with grilled meat or fish alongside some crunchy fennel salad. All these flavors bring me right back to Italy!
- 2 cans artichoke hearts (I like Native Forest) - you can also use about 18 trimmed, fresh baby artichokes
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Celtic sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine (such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Bianco)
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1/2 cup torn fresh mint leaves
- 3 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Drain artichokes and set stem side up on a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Let stand about 2 minutes to drain; pat dry.
- Heat oil in a wide heavy pot over medium-high heat.
- Add artichokes and turn heat to medium-low.
- Squeeze 1/2 lemon over artichokes.
- Scatter garlic and salt over artichokes and cook until garlic is golden (2-3 mins)
- Add the wine! (then drink a glass 😉 and reduce heat
- Simmer for 10-15 mins if using canned artichokes or cover and simmer for 25-30 mins if using fresh artichokes.
- Add capers and bring to a boil until wine has evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- Add mint and parsley and cook for about 3 mins. (you can reduce the heat if necessary to prevent scorching)
- Serve artichokes warm or room temperature, drizzled with pan juices.
- *This dish can be made 2 hours ahead of time. Just let them stand at room temperature when you're finished.
If you loved this recipe and are looking for more deliciousness and tips, I also provide loads of resources on thyroid & autoimmune healing, including:
- Our totally free Thyroid Healing Type Assessment, Report and Coaching Sessions
- Right here on my blog, where I talk about what’s worked best for me and my clients, as well as the latest research and resources I come across. You can subscribe to get new blog posts delivered right to your email by signing up on the right hand side of the page.
- My book, Healing Hashimoto’s Naturally — part memoir, part instruction manual for how I personally healed my Hashimoto’s disease.
- My exclusive free 6 Thyroid Myths That Can Keep You From Healing workshop — with info on the comprehensive Thyroid Fix in 6 program, which walks you through, step-by-step, the exact actions you need to take to heal your thyroid and get your life back! We’ve seen hundreds of participants in the Thyroid Fix in 6 avoid, decrease, or even eliminate the need need for thyroid medications.
- The incredible Your Best Thyroid Life Video Bundle, in which I personally invited 27 of the world’s top health experts to share their best tips for living with and healing thyroid disease.
Jen Wittman is a Certified Holistic Health Expert, Chef, Author & Vitality Coach, who teaches women how to reverse thyroid and autoimmune conditions naturally. She’s helped hundreds of women decrease (or even eliminate) their thyroid medications and has helped others stay off thyroid medication entirely.
Through her free Thyroid Healing Type Assessment, Jen teaches easy and simple steps to thyroid healing that can fit into your busy day. She also provides print outs to bring to your next doctor’s appointment so you can get the support and respect you deserve.