What I’m Reading Now: 9 Books to Inspire, Educate and Entertain
I don’t know about you, but the “to read” pile in my house teeters precariously every time I add another book to it, and my e-reader is full of goodies.
Sitting down with a good book is one way I love to unwind and de-stress. It’s also part of my never-ending quest to get and stay educated about all the latest advances in nutrition and health.
Whether you’re looking for a meaty educational read, something inspiring, or just something to help you escape for a while, I think you’ll find something to enjoy in this list!
Death by Food Pyramid: How Shoddy Science, Sketchy Politics and Shady Special Interests Have Ruined Our Health
This is one of those books that will shock and outrage you as you read it — fair warning! It will absolutely blow your mind the politics, pandering, and irresponsibility that has gone into shaping our national diet — and waistlines! — over the years. If you ever wondered why the government’s recommendations for eating are so upside down and backwards compared to other health recommendations, this book is very enlightening. It’s also entertaining and well written; easy to read even as you’re getting schooled.
Don’t let the title scare you off! This book is by Weston A. Price, a dentist who wondered why people in the “civilized” world suffered from all sorts of tooth decay, cavities, and other dental problems, and native peoples didn’t. He set out to find out, and this book is the result of his studies. He’s one of the forefathers of the Paleo and primal movements of today, advocating a return to traditionally prepared meals and foods with more nutrition. A bit dense, but an excellent read if you want to understand more about the link between nutrition and health. It’s one of the books I recommend to any health coaches just starting out.
Technically, Nourishing Traditions is a cookbook, written by Sally Fallon, a follower of Dr. Price, but it’s much more than that. Fallon takes the research Dr. Price did into nutrition and health and makes it accessible for everyone, every day, at your own table. A great introduction to truly eating for nutrition and health.
This is such a fun, easy-to-read memoir of an American’s plunge into French food culture when she and her two young daughters move to her husband’s hometown in France. At first, she and the girls have a hard time assimilating, but before long, she’s able to see, with an outsider’s point of view, how the French manage to have a healthy, happy food culture. This reminded me so much of what it was like to eat in Italy too when I lived there. That experience changed the way I looked at food forever.
If you struggle with picky eaters at your house, I feel like this is a must-read. The food rules alone could be a game changer for you and your family. (Also excellent for Francophiles!)
You know I’m always talking about laugh therapy, and this book is an advanced therapeutic dose! I absolutely adore Mindy Kaling, and this book is hilarious, warm, and laugh-out-loud funny. If you deal with anxiety, panic attacks, or stress, I HIGHLY recommend adding this book to your bookshelf. Grab it the next time you’re feeling crazy, and I guarantee that five minutes in you’ll be laughing your socks (and your stress) off.
Other books I love:
- Daring Greatly — Part of me feels like this should be required reading for the human race. If you haven’t been introduced to the life-changing work of Brené Brown yet, this is a magnificent place to start.
- The 5 Love Languages — Honestly, this book has been instrumental in ensuring my marriage stays happy and healthy. It helps you understand that when your partner changes the oil on your car, he’s actually saying I love you! There’s also a 5 Love Languages for understanding your kids, which is equally illuminating.
- The Paleo Cure — This book really revolutionized my understanding of a Paleo diet and how to apply it to my own life and lifestyle. You know I don’t believe in a one-size-fits-all approach, and this book helps you figure out which approach is best for you. If you want more personalized advice, be sure to also take my free Thyroid Healing Type Quiz, and the report can help you understand which dietary changes you need to make to heal!
- Fertility Awareness Method — I credit this book for helping us get our son born! If you’re struggling with fertility issues, I highly recommend getting and following this book. It’s full of practical advice that really can make a difference.
Now, it’s your turn! What’s on your bookshelf? Comment below and let us know what you’re reading…
For even more helpful health, nutrition, and lifestyle information, I provide a ton of resources on healing your thyroid naturally, including:
- Our totally free Thyroid Healing Type Assessment, Report and Coaching Sessions
- Right here on my blog, where I talk about what’s worked best for me and my clients, as well as the latest research and resources I come across. You can subscribe to get new blog posts delivered right to your email by signing up on the righthand side of the page.
- My book, Healing Hashimoto’s Naturally — part memoir, part instruction manual for how I personally healed my Hashimoto’s disease.
- My exclusive free 6 Thyroid Myths That Can Keep You From Healing workshop — with info on the comprehensive Thyroid Fix in 6 program, which walks you through, step-by-step, the exact actions you need to take to heal your thyroid and get your life back! We’ve seen hundreds of participants in the Thyroid Fix in 6 avoid, decrease, or even eliminate the need need for thyroid medications.
- The incredible Your Best Thyroid Life Video Bundle, in which I personally invited 27 of the world’s top health experts to share their best tips for living with and healing thyroid disease.
Remember, no matter what diagnosis you’re facing, you always have a choice. Keep your chin up and take small daily action and you can heal and have a normal life again!
Jen Wittman is a Certified Holistic Health Expert, Chef, Author & Vitality Coach, who teaches women how to reverse thyroid and autoimmune conditions naturally. She’s helped hundreds of women decrease (or even eliminate) their thyroid medications and has helped others stay off thyroid medication entirely.
Through her free Thyroid Healing Type Assessment, Jen teaches easy and simple steps to thyroid healing that can fit into your busy day. She also provides print outs to bring to your next doctor’s appointment so you can get the support and respect you deserve.